You Are Special Patterns

You Are Special Patterns
Click on banner to go to our website

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tart Making

I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted on this site. I have had several email about making tarts, this is how I do it.

First I take about 20 oz. of soy wax, use your scale to weigh the wax. I use a candy thermometer from Walmart. I like to use the para/soy wax from www.kentuckywax.com for my tarts. I used to use only soy wax, but they are so soft and crumble after a while. This para/soy wax has a mixture of parafin and soy. They still burn really clean.

I add my color in while it is melting. Some wait until after it is melted. I buy the dye blocks for my tarts. I don't like the liquid, too messy. Just shave off however much you need for the color.

Heat your wax until it reaches 175. Take off the heat, and let cool, until reaches about 145. Add 2 0zs. of fragrance in the mixture and stir well. Make you stir for a minute or two.

If you want to add spices and such to your tarts, have your cups ready to go. I like to add cinnamon chips, whole cloves and crushed rosehips to some of my tarts. I like to use the 2 0z. portion cups for my tarts, then you can just pop the lid on and make a label with the scent. Those priority boxes come in handy for setting on the counter. I always seem to spill wax when pouring. so these really keep the mess down.

Pour hot wax into cups and let sit, until it starts to skin over, then you may want to add some spices on top of the hot wax. If you wait till it skins over, they won't sink to the bottom. It best to let the tarts cure for at least week, before burning. I hope this helps, it really is all about testing which scents are strongest for you. Alot of trial and error, but very addicting to make.



3 comments:

  1. wow wee look at all those tarts, I think can even smell them ummm umm ummm! lol
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love tarts! Thank you so much for taking the time to show how to make them!! I don't know if I ever will but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to play in wax and I'm addicted to waxing just about everything I touch, lol! But this is something I don't know if I could handle making. Thank you for sharing your process and tips! It makes me think that maybe I could do it. That is so very sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete